Widescreen X on Linux

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 20 16:42:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 10:58:09PM -0500, Kerry Panchoo wrote
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get a system up using a wide-screen monitor. The optimal
> resolution is 1280x768. Does any one have any experience with this.
> Right now i've not selected hardware to run this. Ideally i'm hoping to
> find a Micro-ATX motherboard with onboard video that is able to support
> 1280x768 on linux. Any recommendations and experiences doing this would
> be extremely useful.

  Basically, you need to make a custom modeline.  The main question is
whether or not your monitor can support it.  If you don't know how to do
a modeline, don't fret.  http://koala.ilog.fr/cgi-bin/nph-colas-modelines
(javascript required; on this site it makes sense) and fill in your
monitor's vertical and horizontal scan rates.  At the bottom of the form
where it says "or enter the desired screen ratio here", enter 5/3.  That's
because 1280/768 = 5/3.  If the monitor is a CRT, you'll get all sorts
of useful resolutions.  If it's an LCD, the only useful ones will be
1280x768 and 640x384.  Let me know if you need help setting up XFree to
make use of this modeline.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did