OTA hatred?

Jeremy Wakeman cael-JTkAzvGkdyMrpQx6IzTi3laTQe2KTcn/ at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 19 14:41:08 UTC 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 09:06:01AM -0500, T. Alex Beamish wrote:
<snip>
> I bought my first PC at OTA, back when I had the tough decision of a
> 486/50 or a fully loaded 486/66 (still got it, gonna try one of the
> lighter distros on it when I have time). With 8M RAM it ran OS/2 quite
> happily.
>
> I've gone back in there a few times since, but there prices always
> seemed to be a little higher than everyone else, and without someone
> coming up to strike up a conversation or bargain a little, I'm not
> interested. I'm loyal, but I try not to be foolish with my money.
>

> The CTO at my full-time job turned me on to Sonnam, and they some good
> stuff. I bought a $300 PC from them (Ahtlon 1800, I think) which we put
> together ourselves. The power supply blew, so I extracted it from the
> machine and returned it. They were a little surprised, because normally
> customers bring the entire box in .. that also insures that it was
> their power supply .. but they replaced it (I had the receipt) no
> questions asked.
>

> The other place I've gone is .. um .. the wholesale place, Canada
> Computers or something like that. Same area. I bought a $220 used
> computer but couldn't get it to boot with the Mandrake 9 CDs that I
> had. I brought it back on a Sunday at twenty to five and the head tech
> worked with me to get it working .. I finally upgraded to a $250 box,
> paying the difference, and glad to, because that one worked.
>
> They could have given me a flat 'no', they could have told me to come
> back another day, but instead they worked on solving the problem. Trust
> ne, I'm a big fan of that attitude. They made $30 off me that
> afternoon, but they also bought lots of customer loyalty. Some of their
> used boxes look like hell, but for $200 or so they are fantastic to run
> Linux on.
>
> Alex
</snip>

Yay for old hardware!  I wonder what the oldest/crappiest daily used box
is on the list.  I'm sure many people have this beat, but I've got a twice
rebuilt/upgraded UniNet 386 (now p166) that's still limping along on orig ps
(no drives except floppy).  It has been running w/o reboot since I
moved my computers two weeks ago.

Someone's gotta have a 386 or a non math cp 486 that does routing or sth.

-Jeremy

--

Jeremy John Wakeman
cael-JTkAzvGkdyMrpQx6IzTi3laTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org