USB scanner

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 18 20:03:00 UTC 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:45:44 -0500
Lennart Sorensen disseminated the following:

> > From what I've seen and heard, all of the HP scanners work under Linux,
> > *except*
> > the 2300c (take a wild guess what I got for xmas last year...).
>
> And many many more HP scanners.  I would expect an HP scanner to be
> 50/50 with linux.  They don't actually make them, they just brand and
> sell them so who knows what chipset the scanner uses.  Even models with
> similar names may have no hardware in common.

Now that I look at the 'usb scanners on linux' page again, ya, Epson does come
out pretty far ahead.

...and as for the 'so who knows what chipset the scanner uses', that's exactly
what I ran into.

Nonetheless, as of a year ago, at least, HP was doing fairly well in number of
models supported (and I'm only including those for which a full backend exists).

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046