"user friendliest" Linux distro

Dave Stubbs dstubbs-ZsETY1VsSgK5ibTBNBZY+dUNXN58jlyp at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 18 18:19:56 UTC 2004

Lloyd Budd wrote:

> On 18-Mar-04, at 10:35, Avtar Gill wrote:
>
>> JoeHill wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, I was under the misapprehension that Suse (ie. all the bells and
>>> whistles included) was not available for free. Avtar corrected me on
>>> that above.
>>> So lemme get this straight: I can download Suse ISO's, for free,
>>> that come with
>>> Java, Real, and Flash already to go? Wow.
>>

>> Almost ;) Just like the OpenBSD project they don't provide ISOs.
>
> Since version 8 there has been "live-eval" ISOs.
> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/ , though the only live CD I have
> ever used
> is Gentoo's.

Probably beating this one to death but...

If you're looking for user friendly, you have to at least give Knoppix a
try.  And if you have a Linux server on your network, a fun evening
project that makes Knoppix even more available and faster is as follows:

1.  Boot Knoppix on a computer
2.  Enable the Knoppix terminal server, going carefully through the
network interface menu and enabling as many cards as you might ever use.
3.  Grab the contents of the /tftpboot folder from the knoppix computer
and copy them to your Linux server
4.  shut down the Knoppix computer
5.  copy the contents of the Knoppix CD to a read-only NFS-exported
location on your linux server
6.  install and enable the PXE service on your knoppix server.

Voila!  Network-booted knoppix for any PXE-enabled computer you happen to
plug into your LAN - and a LOT faster than running it off the CD too!

Isn't Linux fun?