"user friendliest" Linux distro

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 18 14:45:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 07:50:27 -0500
cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org disseminated the following:

> >     The basic Mandrake distribution is released under free licences,
> >     as defined by the FSF; they are not necessarily all GPL. There is
> >     also the "contrib" section which may be under slightly less free
> >     licences.
>
> And, since neither the 'base' nor the 'contrib' sections represent
> software licensed exclusively under the GPL, this means that the
> distribution is "fully GPL" in what sense?

In the sense that the actual ISO's do not come with non-free software. It is up
to the user whether they want to incorporate non-GPL or otherwise 'differently
licensed' software in their setup, namely by adding Contrib or PLF sources.
AFAIK, no software would make it into the Main package sources that was not
GPL'd.

Kind of similar to the way Debian gives you that choice during install (at least
it did last time I did a Debian install...that was awhile ago).

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046