"user friendliest" Linux distro

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 18 12:37:18 UTC 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 06:12:03 -0500
Lloyd Budd disseminated the following:

> > Umm, is there a problem with the giant list on the Mandrake homepage?
> Exactly my point ;-)  "User friendliest" point asserted.
> There is no good reason for someone  to have to manual select mirrors.
> Further, I am certain based on my own experience that finding
> "good mirrors" for the non-core package groups is hit and miss.

It would be nice if the urpmi script would search automagically for the fastest
mirror, I have to admit. I think Debian's apt does this, no?

> >> * non-"members" do not have access to "core" computing
> >> technologies such as Macro. Flash plugin for browser
> >
> > You most certainly do "have access" to them.  Flash, Java, Acrobat,
> > and Real
> > Player are all available from their respective companies websites for
> > free.
> "user friendliest" point asserted.  No one should have to hunt for
> functionality,
> nor have to manage it independently.

It is _nice_ that Suse and Xandros et al include these things pre-configured,
but, as Austin pointed out, Mandrake is providing a free Linux distro that,
overall, balances what you call 'ideological' considerations with those of being
in the business of providing a user-friendly Linux desktop. It's a tough one, no
doubt, they are not doing as well, business wise, as Suse. 'Course, Mandrake
hasn't had any huge infusions of cash from Novell lately either ;-)

My impression, from very low on the Mandrake food chain mind you, is that the
organization is trying to build something unique: a relatively user-friendly
distro a la Suse or Xandros, but maintaining the 'community' feel of a Debian.
Whether they are successful or not is a matter of time and perspective.

> Further, these parties are unlikely to have tested Mandrake versions
> available immediately with the release of a new version of Mandrake.

I don't think these plugins are in any way distro-dependant, they should run on
any version of Linux, not to mention any other *nix. Correct me if I am wrong
here.

Overall, I think you are correct in saying that Mandrake is not the
'user-friendliest' Linux distro, but it strikes a fair balance between being
easy to install and use with being free (as in beer). And if you *want* it to be
as user friendly as Suse, then you do the same thing: you buy it.

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046