Making money from open source / free software

Transoaxania transoxania-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 18 07:42:55 UTC 2004

Lloyd Budd wrote:
> On 17-Mar-04, at 17:24, Paul DiRezze wrote:
>

>>An article about dual licensing.
>>
>>http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3327101
>>
>>paul
>
> That is a decent article, but the following does not ring
> universally true to me:
> "Open source is always a way of saving money, because
> you can produce software at a lower cost," Marten Mickos,
> CEO of MySQL, told the audience.

This seems do be a rather sinister statement by the CEO.  I don't know
much about how MySQL was developed but was it not originally started as
open source project where a large group of people contributed to its
production.  Now a relatively smaller group of those people are
profiting from the free labour of others.  Isn't this is a capitalist's
ultimate dream: free labour.