istop.com

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 17 19:51:34 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 17 March 2004 14:29, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> > My understanding (please correct me if I am wrong) is that cable has the
> > capacity for 30Mb, no generally available DSL technology has that
> > capacity though eventually who knows.
>
> Each cable modem is limited to 3Mbit, so if there is 10 simultanous
> users on a segment, at least the segment is ok. If there is 200, you
> have a problem.

You seem to be assuming that the cable into your neighborhood is the same as
the cable into your home, do you know that to be the case?

> > Does anyone know the actual technology that Bell uses to get DSL traffic
> > from a local CO to the ISP?  What technology do cable providers use?
>
> I suspect the ISPs have a large OC3 or similar size pipe to bell to
> handle traffic for their clients.  Or maybe they use ATM or something.

I believe it's ATM.  CO is connected to the "ATM cloud", ISP (istop, Bell,
whoever) is also connected to ATM cloud.

> I dislike the authentication required mail server rogers runs, I hate
> that it often goes down (in some areas at least), I think they charge
> too much.

Definitely.  Setting up a simple relay like all other ISPs must be beyond
them, or perhaps they didn't realize that they could simultaneously setup
anonymous relaying for their own IPs and authenticated relaying for remote
connections ;-)

> DSL (at least from some providers) to me is a much better deal, and they
> seem to offer betteer up and down stream speeds.  PPPoE is a bit
> annoying but manageable, and if willing to pay for it, can be avoided.

Agreed.  PPPoE doesn't present any barrier and with some actual competition in
the DSL market bargains (like istop) are out there.