istop.com

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 16 15:04:26 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 09:00:39AM -0600, Jim W Lai wrote:

> Bell's raised the basic level of ADSL from 1.5Mbps to 3.0Mbps to compete
> with Rogers cable here.  The next tier of service is a mere 4.0Mbps.
> I'm with a smaller reseller of ADSL, and my service got bumped up without
> any change in hardware (Alcatel here) or billing price.  Upstream speed got
> boosted to 800kbps as well.

To 800kbps!  YIKES!  That definitely outpaces Rogers' residential connection
at 192kbps (in fact, afaik cablemodems max out at 768kbps anyway).  That's
a HUGE change.

> Definitely much nicer when fetching Linux ISOs from the net.

Well, the upstream doesn't matter so much for that, but the downstream
sounds very nice.  If it weren't for the fact that I'd need to pay for
a phoneline, I might seriously switch to DSL.  Though, for $30/mo, the
hardline would only have to be around $15 for it to be just as expensive...

--
taa
   We should be on our guard not to overestimate science