Summary of Linux-friendy computer stores

Paul DiRezze pdirezze-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 16 11:50:00 UTC 2004

Here's a summary of information I received when I posted a query about
"Linux-friendly" computer retailers in Toronto.

Since I was able to install Linux on my current clone, I haven't called any
of the numbers.  But I intend to as I'll be buying a few more systems in
the six months or so year.

Noah John Gellner <noah.gellner-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> writes:
>If you want Linux installed you might consider looking at the Dell
>400SC. It is a server but can be used as a desktop and has an 8x AGP
>slot. You can order it with a Redhat option. I don't know about the
>prices in Canada but it can regularly be had in the USA for USD 300 with
>a decent configuration and Redhat.

I've bought several boxes from Dell in the past and I'm very under whelmed
with there "commitment" to Linux.  Things may be looking up though as I
recently found http://linux.dell.com/

Oliver Meyn <oliver-Anxf3rTHXCtiMu0DPS9sNtBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org> writes
>I run a computer store as a part-time endeavour out of my home, and am
>happy to install linux as the OS (FC 1, RH 9, Mandrake). As some of the
>other list members have suggested it would be helpful for your future to
>have installed it so that you feel comfortable upgrading & patching, but
>I also understand the value in having a clean, working system to start
>from. One thing I can provide is a rescue cd that would completely
>reset the system, so that you can feel comfortable messing about (at
>least initially) without fear of irrevocable harm.
>Have a look at the website and maybe piece a system together, or feel
>free to call me and we can try and figure something out for you.
><http://www.uhurucomputers.com>
>416-803-3776

Hope this helps.

paul