Updated (and repaired) Netfilter paper available for download

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 11 16:08:58 UTC 2004

Hi all,

   I have finished making the needed changes to the document I handed
out at the talk on Tuesday and now the updated version is available for
download.

   What has changed?

  - Changed the MAC matching flub to now represent matching the MAC
address of a gateway server on the third sample firewall.
  - Added ICMP message 8 (ping) matching and dropping for the gateway
server to help hide it from simple ping-based scans.
  - Fixed the typos and errors pointed out to me since the talk,
including my mistake about the nat chains not having default policies
and adding mention of the OUTPUT nat chain.

   If anyone finds any errors in this version, by all means please do
let me know! The paper is currently only available as a PDF but I do
hope to convert it to a simple HTML document suitable for even text
browsers to read as soon as I get a chance.

   With all that said, here is the download. Please enjoy and if you
can, let me know what you think (positive, negative or other!!).

http://thelinuxexperience.com/whitepapers/TLE-WhitePaper_Netfilter-v1.1.pdf

Madison