Linux friendly computer retailers in Toronto

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 11 03:43:14 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 05:04:56PM +0000, James McIntosh wrote:
> At 08:28 AM 3/10/04 -0700, Taavi Burns <taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> >What desktop environments have you been trying with that?  With only 128MB
> of RAM,
> >recent versions of Gnome and KDE are likely to cause massive amounts of
> swapping.
>
> What do they like to have ?

The more the merrier, but I'd think 256MB is not unreasonable for
KDE/Gnome plus a few apps.  OpenOffice is, unfortuately, a resource
pig.  Somthing like KOffice or Abiword might be more reasonable, though
I've not tried either.

RAM is cheap like candy for modern machines, hence the general direction
of Gnome and KDE towards eye candy (all of which takes CPU and RAM).
Note that KDE 3.2 is MUCH faster than KDE 3.1 or KDE 3.0.  Make sure that
you've got 3.2.  :)

The joy of Linux is that you're not forced to use the eye candy.  :)
One has the choice to use other window managers such as XFCE, fluxbox,
FVWM (for those die-hard fans)...

--
taa

   There is only one way to console a widow but remember the risk.
      - Robert A. Heinlein
/*eof*/