Total War; SCO is only the beginning

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 11 00:19:26 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 09:39:40PM +0200, Peter L. Peres wrote

> On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Walter Dnes wrote:
>
> > "At the moment Microsoft is under attack because GNU/Linux is an
> > operating system which can replace Windows.
>
> I think that they got the focus slightly wrong. There is no distribution
> of Linux that does not come with at least 500 application programs (most
> come with 2000+). If the 'others' do not feel threatened yet by things
> like OpenOffice etc then it must be because they're so confy sitting on
> their laurels. Know the fable about the rabbit and the tortoise ?

  Microsoft is the only major 'other' commercial office distro.  They've
run into the "good enough" wall.  Additional "features" only add to bloat
and the bug list.  MS has publicly dismissed the latest OpenOffice as
being an MSOffice97 equivalent.  But wasn't MSOffice97 good enough for
95% of us?  GIMP is only a wannabee Photoshop competitor, but give it a
couple more years.  It'll eventually get to the "good enough" stage, and
people will ask themselves if they really need anything more.  Eventually
PostgreSQL will sneak up on Oracle too.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did