Clone install headaches

Sergio Salvi lists3-8OOxOvJoDXDLSf97qRSy8VAUjnlXr6A1 at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 10 20:11:38 UTC 2004

Hmmm, that makes sense as you can't copy and paste from your isolated machine :)

Try the following then:

# stop network:
service network stop

# make sure there is no DHCP client using/locking the interface
ps uxaw | grep -i dhclient
ps uxaw | grep -i eth
ps uxaw | grep -i dhcp

# if you find some, run
kill -9 PID (where PID is the process number you've got in the "ps" command)

# check again with "ps" if they're gone

# try to unload the module from kernel:
rmmod sis900

# and try running the DHCP client manually:
dhclient -d eth0

# open another terminal (Alt-F2), logon as root and check the interfaces:
ifconfig -a

And keep looking the output of the dhclient command. Send the output of
"ifconfig -a" and dhclient. If this doesn't work too, I would say it's a problem
with this module (sis900) and compile a newer kernel, but you'll have to
transfer it using some CD-R or floppy disks (sic)...

BTW, what's your kernel version and CPU? "uname -a" it :)

[]s,
Salvi