TLUG meeting suggestions/comments

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 10 14:47:09 UTC 2004

Madison Kelly wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>    I -really- hope this doesn't sound bad; e-mail can be a tenuous place
> to make suggestions because body language and tone are not visible. I
> want to make some recommendations on how I think the TLUG meetings could
> be made more inviting in the future for both speakers and members. I had
> a really fun time last night so please don't think I am complaining! :)
>
>    I don't know if "heckling" is the right word, but if not there was an
> apparent need by some to interrupt in order to say something that really
> wasn't within the scope of the topic being presented. Obviously if a
> speaker makes a notable mistake, like I did with the with the MAC
> address matching, then by all means point out the mistake. On the other
> hand, repeatedly nit-picking details only serves to present the person
> making the comments as desperate to prove something and make the speaker
> feel frustrated and flustered.

When I teach/present, I nip problems like that in the bud with something
like, "If I make
little mistakes please let me know during the break. Unless I make huge
mistake
please let me proceed with my presentation. I don't know everything, but
I do know what I
want to present - and I don't want that interrupted. Thank you."

If someone is persistently rude, "You are interrupting the presentation. If
you and the
audience would prefer that you give the presentation, be my guest.
Otherwise please let
me proceed."

Trust you gut. If it feels like people are being rude, say so. Even the
language of this email
may be too soft. Aren't you trying to ask, "How do we get showoffs to
either shut up or leave
the meetings?"

Unless I am mistaken I have met you (you live in St. Jamestown?) and you
gave me a bunch
of software. I found you generous and congenial. You don't deserve anything
short of respect
for giving a presentation. There is a whole breed out there that doesn't
quite have its shit
together to the point of actually giving a presentation - but God knows
they can punch holes
in those that do.

Chris