TLUG meeting suggestions/comments

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 10 14:30:57 UTC 2004

Hi all,

   I -really- hope this doesn't sound bad; e-mail can be a tenuous place
to make suggestions because body language and tone are not visible. I
want to make some recommendations on how I think the TLUG meetings could
be made more inviting in the future for both speakers and members. I had
a really fun time last night so please don't think I am complaining! :)

   I don't know if "heckling" is the right word, but if not there was an
apparent need by some to interrupt in order to say something that really
wasn't within the scope of the topic being presented. Obviously if a
speaker makes a notable mistake, like I did with the with the MAC
address matching, then by all means point out the mistake. On the other
hand, repeatedly nit-picking details only serves to present the person
making the comments as desperate to prove something and make the speaker
feel frustrated and flustered. It also likely agitates the other people
in the crowd who are trying to follow a presentation. I know that
yesterday, except for my mistake on MAC address matching, all the other
comments could easily have waited until the Q&A period.

   I wanted to say this because I love TLUG and what it stands for and I
want it to be as inviting to members and speakers as possible.

Madison