[OT] Shameless self-promotion of a Unix Systems Engineer

Sergio Salvi lists3-8OOxOvJoDXDLSf97qRSy8VAUjnlXr6A1 at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 9 10:11:12 UTC 2004

Hi all!

I've just moved to Toronto and I'm looking for a job as a Unix Systems Engineer
or other Unix-related opportunity.

Maybe some of you know about or work for some company that's looking for a 7
years experienced Unix Systems Engineer, including expertise in high-end
Storage, Backup and Cluster solutions, among others.

Below is my resumé and if someone knows about any job opportunity, please let me
know off-list. MS-Word or OpenOffice versions available too.

Sorry for using this list for that, but it would be very important for me to get
my first job here in Canada as I'm an immigrant from Brazil and it's very hard
to get a job without the "canadian experience".

PS: I'll be in the TLUG Meeting tomorrow, just in case :)

--------------

Sergio Robiola Salvi
399 Margueretta St.
Toronto, ON M6H 3S6
Phone: (416) 534-8875
E-mail: sergio-W6/VqjGUBupfJ/NunPodnw at public.gmane.org

Career Summary

A UNIX Systems Engineer with 7 years of professional experience and a proven
track record in large-scale and mission-critical environments using Solaris,
Linux, storage and cluster systems and open source solutions. Solid knowledge of
performance tuning, problem solving and training. Excellent interpersonal skills.

Summary of Qualifications

* Installation and administration: Solaris, Linux, HP-UX and others UNIX
systems, Veritas Volume Manager, DiskSuite, Apache, iPlanet, Oracle 9 Internet
Application Server, SMTP, DNS and other internet-related services
* High-availability systems: Veritas Cluster Server, Resonate Dispatch, HP
ServiceGuard, Linux Virtual Server
* Storage/Backup: EMC Symmetrix, Connectrix, Celerra, Timefinder, EDM Backup,
Solstice Backup and MondoRescue
* Network and security: TCP/IP security, NAT/DNAT, routing, tunneling and VPNs
* Databases: MySQL (administration and tuning), Oracle and MS-SQL (installation
and basic administration)
* Languages: Perl (strong expertise), shell scripts, ANSI SQL and Apache's API
programming

Work Experience

Systems Engineer
Optiglobe Telecommunications, Sao Paulo, Brazil	07/2000 - 06/2003
* created configuration standards and automated installation system for more
than 1300 UNIX servers used in all 4 companies? data centers in Latin America
* installed and configured web, e-mail and backup servers (among others) for the
first data center launch and for 3 subsequent data centers in Brazil, Argentina
and Mexico
* worked as a level 3 support for key clients to solve performance problems and
optimize their servers
* administered high-end storage and backup equipments to handle 28TB of data
* wrote procedures for installing systems and trained Operations and Support Teams
* reported directly to the IT Director

Systems Administrator
Universo Online (UOL), Sao Paulo, Brazil	06/1999 - 07/2000
* administered all 300 Sun Solaris and Linux servers for the biggest Brazilian
internet service provider including web, e-mail, database and billing systems
* optimized performance of Apache, Netscape iPlanet and Solaris to handle more
than 200 million hits per day
* designed and installed Linux-based FTP cluster to handle more than 1200
simultaneous users
* developed and implemented Linux migration plan for Year 2000 compatibility
* modified the Linux kernel to optimize performance and leverage existing hardware

Owner/Developer
Salvi Internet, Sorocaba, Brazil	01/1999 - present
* planned and developed the biggest Brazilian law portal
(www.direitonet.com.br); analyzing, projecting and programming the content
management system using ModPerl, MySQL, Apache and Linux to handle over 450,000
documents
* developed Web-based systems: e-commerce, scalable search engine and access
control systems, among others

Network and Systems Administrator
SpliceNet, Sorocaba, Brazil	02/1997 - 06/1999
* managed Cisco routers and Remote Access Servers of the internet service
provider as well as clients' routers
* administered Sun Solaris and Linux servers running services: web, e-mail,
radius, firewall and proxy
* developed software to audit the billing system, track discrepancies and reduce
costs
* implemented an online subscription system that increased monthly sales by 100%

Technical High School Teacher
CRTSE, Sorocaba, Brazil	01/1998 - 06/1999
* taught "Introduction to operating systems" for 2nd and 3rd year classes
* instructed hands-on classes on Linux, OS/2, basic networking, protocols and
security
* planned and coordinated the installation of all Linux servers and desktops in
the school's lab

Education

Technical degree in Information Technology
FASP - Faculdades Associadas de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil	2001 - 2003

Technical High School (specialization: Electronics)
ETE Prof. Rubens de Faria e Souza, Sorocaba, Brazil	1994 - 1996

Languages: English (fluent) and Portuguese (native speaker)

Additional Training and Skills

Administering Oracle 9 Internet Application Server - 2003
HP-UX for experienced UNIX Administrators - 2001
Veritas Volume Manager - 2001
Veritas Filesystem - 2001
Veritas Cluster Server - 2001