most TLUG members send email from MSWin

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 6 22:10:00 UTC 2004

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, Teddy Mills wrote:

> Not my fault the Win user interface is cleaner than Gnome or KDE.

I don't like any of the 3 you mention :) [1]

X-window has so many more choices.  I still use Fvwm2 but have considered
Ion.  Gnome & KDE apps aren't tied to the whole environment afterall, you
just need to make sure you have the right libraries.  Having a Gnome/KDE
aware window manager helps too but pretty much all window managers contain
this functionality these days.

I've been suspecting for a long time there are a lot more people out there
using Unix on the desktop than are often considered.  I base this on three
things:

1.  Huge numbers of apps are available for X.  Someone is coding and using
    them.

2.  The number of window managers being actively developed is staggering.
    Someone is out there coding and using them.

3.  Most discussions I have with people installing Linux contain a
    component regarding X configuration.  This does not just apply to
    new users.

It looks to me that a high proportion of Linux users are using Linux on
the desktop in a dual boot configuration.

> Must be a reason most TLUGers post using Win email clients, and
> run their servers and network services with Linux.

Actually, lately I've had cause to examine mail headers of incoming mail
(various reasons) and a surprising number of people run pine like myself,
including several people on this list.

For the record I dropped MS-Windows on the desktop in 1996 and haven't
been happier.

[1] I like kdm so use it as a display manager often.  Particularly with
the "SGI" look and the clock.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.