Inserting devices in a USB port

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 6 06:13:00 UTC 2004

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 00:27:50 -0500
cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org wrote:

> > Thanks for the info Colin,  I'm running Fedora CORE 1 (red hat) and I
> > think it can handle it but I'll check it out to be safe.
>
> This should be a question of what version of Linux you are running, as
> opposed to GLIBC or any of the applications started by init and its
> children.
>
> Support for USB shouldn't be a "distribution" matter except insofar as
> particular systems may include one version or another of Linux, the
> kernel.
>
> If they included Linux version 2.6.0 in Fedora, then support for USB may
> be pretty flakey.  If they use a 2.4.x version of Linux, then there is a
> chance of high variation on this, as there were a lot of revisions to
> USB support through the 2.4 series.  It's probably a good thing if
> Fedora includes a version of Linux either 2.6.1 or higher.
>
> The entire design of USB is intended to support hot pluggability; the
> prime place where it may break down is if your favorite device does not
> have a suitable driver that is up to the task of rejigging things when
> it gets re-attached.

Christopher and all,

   I am plugging a flash memory stick and the CF card for my digital camera into my computer.  It has two USB ports and I make no effort to be consistent about which one I use.  The only problem I have had so far with Red Hat 8 is that Nautilus insists on locking up the CF card.

   The most convenient way to unload my camera is to mount the CF card from a terminal while Nautilus is off, and them move the files to the hard drive.  This is too bad, since Nautilus is otherwise, the most convenient Linux tool for managing JPEG files.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howard-42qnO8ePF9cV+D8aMU/kSg at public.gmane.org