changing things a little.

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 5 22:05:41 UTC 2004

> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Madison Kelly wrote:
> > Seeing as I am up next (everyone come!!!) I'll throw my approval in. I
> > would love a more "group" part instead of just the lecture thing. Maybe
> > instead of doing a talk (in my case, on firewalls and iptables) instead
> > we can sit arounf and have one person (me!! :) ) field questions on the
> > topic and others could jump in when the "host" gets stumped.
>
> A word of caution:  many people are less enthusiastic about coming to a
> meeting that's billed as a Q&A session rather than a talk, because it's
> harder to tell whether the content will interest them.  It's better to
> start with a talk, to give newcomers to the topic some context and to
> deal with the elementary issues, and then do Q&A afterward.

OCLUG (Ottawa) has a notion of "rapid fire topics."

At their September meeting, they had 3 short talks:
 - One on the SCO-vs-Linux situation and CLIC;
 - One on setting up Mozilla to kill off spam;
 - One on setting up qmail.

By actually having two speakers, they have a really good excuse to say
"cut off discussion NOW" in that not doing so would be expressly
disrespectful for the later speakers.

Cut it off at having just one or two of the topics, and you have a nice
timeframe for an open Q&A session.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.enworbbc" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/x.html