DVD filesystems & capacity

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 4 22:25:59 UTC 2004

> I used mkisofs to build, dvdrecord to burn using a Pioneer drive, I don't
> remember the model it was about 8 months ago and the drive was current.  The
> OS was Redhat 7.3.  Lennart's comment of about 4.5 GB sounds about right.
> We were storing historical data backups.

This is something for which there is not a completely straight answer.

The disk needs to store data, with fairly large minimum block sizes, as
well as the directory structure, which seems to be pretty verbose.

I haven't had call to try to get as close as humanly possible to
capacity; I would be surprised if you could get much more than 4.5GB,
and the smaller the files, the more space will get consumed by directory
entries and empty bits of blocks, and hence the less "actual data" you
can fit into place.

At home, I'm using the following:
  PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D

The instructions you set up work fine with it...
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/linuxxian.html