Spontaneous Reboot

Stephen Allen kru_tch-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 4 16:18:23 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 03:04:58PM -0500 or thereabouts, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

<snip>

> Hmm, that kernel is meant for install disks, not running systems
> (although it won't cause the reboot, just ousy hardware support and
> performance.)
>
> Install kernel-image-2.4.18-686 or kernel-image-2.4.18-k7 depending on
> your cpu.

Lennart:

Been following this thread with interest. I've also been running the
'*.bf2.4', not realizing that it was only intended for the install
process. You're not kidding about it's lousy preformance. I'm running
SpamAssassin, and it often bogs the whole system down, if it's scanning
a fair bit of e-mail. :(

Anyway, took your advice and installed '2.4.18-386.img' and during the
install process one is prompted to add a 'initrd=/initrd' stanza to
one's lilo.conf -- which I did. However on running lilo after the
install, it's spits out this on parsing the 'initrd=/initrd' line;
'Fatal: /initrd: neither a reg. file nor a block dev'.

What gives? I'm afraid to reboot with a message like that, any pointers?
I'm dreadfully scared to mess with the kernel, but thought I should at
least install a proper kernel, as per your suggestion.

--
S.Allen
barnyard  Thursday Mar 04 2004 11:10:01 EST