Spontaneous Reboot

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 3 16:58:07 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 08:33:12AM -0700, Taavi Burns wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 09:25:42AM -0500, William O'Higgins wrote:
>> Thanks for the quick reply, but that's not it.  The machine was for
>> approximately 10 minutes at the time of the failure.  The CPU is a Duron
>> 600.  Is there anywhere that the kernel would log a message along the
>> lines of "What th-" besides /var/log/messages?
>
>If the CPU fan has stopped spinning, it might even be called surprising that
>it managed to last 10 minutes.  It is "only" a Duron 600, though, so 10
>minutes might be just about right.
>
>I've heard reports of Athlons dying in under 10 seconds when the heatsink
>has fallen off.

I'll get into the case and make sure that everything is secure, but I am
writing from the same machine right now, and it has been up for the last
five hours without further incident.

If a program crashed and took my machine with it, where would I look for
the dumped core, or any messages pertaining to the issue?  Thanks.
--

yours,

William