Segfault Suggestions?

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 3 15:13:18 UTC 2004

Hardware problem identified (I think). It was the memory after all.

The computer had 64+32+32 RAM; swapping around the 32MB sticks didn't
help, but when I removed them and left in only the 64MB stick the
computer refused to boot (crc error). Ahah, I thought, and pulled that
stick, replacing it with 32+32. Ran like a charm, no segfaults. To make
sure I ran mprime's torture test twice: once for three hours, then again
overnight (about nine hours). No problems anywhere.

Now it's an old computer, and it might have multiple problems -- but for
the time being, it looks like it was indeed the memory. I'm puzzled why
it would fail (after LILO's BIOS check) with a crc warning when by
itself but pass in combination with the rest of the RAM. Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help!

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
215 Huron Street
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-3788 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5S 1A1
       CANADA
GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42