DVD filesystems & capacity

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 2 21:20:04 UTC 2004

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 01:06:14PM -0500, Byron Sonne wrote:
> I hear numbers tossed around all the time such as '4.7 GB' for the
> amount of space a DVD can hold.

4.5GB.  If you believe an 80GB HD can hold 80GB of data, then you will
also believe a 4.7GB DVD can hold 4.7GB. :)

> I hope to get a DVD burning drive soon (Pioneer A06U) primarily for the
> purposes of archiving data *and* keeping it easily accessible. Mostly
> small graphics files and longer video clips, but there will also be code
> snippets, tgz, etc.

As far as I can tell from my reading of things, the Plextor 708A is the
fastest most compatible you can currently get (you can even update
firmware under linux with a plextor).  The pioneer is close to as fast
and still very good.  Plextor knows optical drives, pioneer knows DVD.
No doubt about it.

> I'd like to ask those of you who burn DVDs under linux what your
> experience with effective DVD capacity has been. I would like to keep
> doing it with the standard mkisofs & cdrecord pairing of utils, with
> appropriate compensations made for the difference in medium.

You need cdrecord-prodvd (not "free") or dvdrtools (growisofs
specifically) (which is "free").  They do things differently but end up
with about the same result either way.  Both support both +rw and -rw
media.

The pioneer does slightly faster DVD-R burning, while the plextor does
slightly faster DVD+R burning.  Well for the pioneer A06 at least.  I
think the A07 is maybe faster than the plextor for both.  At least in
theory.

708A is an 8x DVD+R, 4x DVD+RW and DVD-R and 2x DVD-RW.  CD speed is 40
read write and 24 rewrite.

The pioneer A07/107 (the 106 is about half the speed) does 8x DVD+R
DVD-R, 4x DVD+RW DVD-RW.  CD speed is 40 read, 24 write and rewrite.

Both should have excellent support with both cdrecord-prodvd and
growisofs (dvd+rw-tools).

Lennart Sorensen