backing up a lin/win box via drive imaging

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 2 05:49:59 UTC 2004

Byron Sonne <blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> writes:

> I'm looking for a freeware or free-for-personal-use rescue disk/cd or
> software that I can boot from and that will create an image of the whole
> drive and be able to direct it to an NFS or SMB share or something like that.

KNOPPIX isn't intended for that purpose specifically but it shouldn't be too
difficult to customize.  I believe it can load a custom configuration from
floppy.  I'm guessing it would be relatively easy to make that custom
configuration do your backup.  The advantage of KNOPPIX is that it's a very
complete distribution with excellent hardware detection so it will run on
lots of oddball hardware and has "all" the tools available.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada