diskparts: list disk partitions, including any ext2 labels

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 2 02:21:01 UTC 2004

I often upgrade the OS on a machine by installing a new version of the OS.
When planning to do this, I often want a hard-copy of the partition layout
as a worksheet.

fdisk -l doesn't tell me quite enough: I'd like to know what is on the
partitions.  I label all my ext[23] partitions, but the labels don't show
up in the fdisk output.

Generally, I do an fdisk -l and then scrible on the results.  As a
labour-saving device, I've just written a script to do the annotation
automatically.

I'm posting it here to get some feedback:
- do you find this useful?
- what would you add to this?
- is there a simpler way?

Hugh Redelmeier
hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org  voice: +1 416 482-8253

#!/bin/sh

# diskparts: list disk partitions, including any ext2 labels
# Synopsis: disparts [drive]...
# D. Hugh Redelmeier  2004 March 1

set -u

# default to /dev/hda
case "$#" in
0)	set - /dev/hda
	;;
esac

for drive
do
	# oddity: the each line of the fdisk output is prepended with a backslash
	# to prevent any leading whitespace being discarded by the sh read command.

	/sbin/fdisk -l "$drive" | sed -e 's/^/\\/' |
		while read line
		do
			case "$line" in
			*Linux)
				vol=` echo "$line" | sed -e 's/ .*//' `
				lab=` /sbin/e2label "$vol" 2>/dev/null || echo '???'`
				line="$line: $lab"
				;;
			esac
			echo "$line"