Segfault Suggestions?

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 1 15:51:29 UTC 2004

I've recently come into possession of a Dell Dimension v350,
which is an old PII 350MHz computer with 128MB RAM. The problem
is that it (apparently randomly) segfaults. So far it has crashed
while running cdparanoia (but not cdrecord), apt-get, links, and
a few other programs. The crashes are not reproducible: running
the same program again usually works. The same phenomenon comes
up under kernels 2.2.20, 2.4.24, and 2.6.2, running Debian Stable
or Testing (depending).

That makes it sound like hardware. So I ran 10 iterations of memtest
overnight, but, after freezing the first time, it then turned up no
memory errors at all. (Nor did it segfault, apparently.) So I guess
it isn't the memory. Good thing, since I don't have any spare memory
for that vintage machine lying around.

So: If it isn't the software and it isn't the memory, what should I
look at next?

If the answer is "the CPU" -- how do I test that? I don't have a
spare PII lying around...

Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
215 Huron Street
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-3788 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5S 1A1
       CANADA
GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42