Wrong ad on www.linux.org

Ilya Palagin ilyapalagin-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 29 23:48:19 UTC 2004

Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, StreetSmart wrote:
>

>>I've also seen adds were it shows how ms server is 10 times more efficent
>>then apache. Ironically this add was posted not on a microsft site, but
>>found in http://www.linuxplanet.com
>>Look now, they have something about how windows server is LESS expensive. Is
>>this a mistake?!?!
>

> Just the product of partisan research.  Virtually all "studies" done today
> are commissionsed by people with a vested interest.  As such they are to
> be mistrusted.  I'm continuously amazed at how much stock people put into
> reports where the authors were clearly not-impartial.
>
> Rob

Here is the reply from linux.org on my angry request:

------------------------------
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:09:37 -0400, Ilya Palagin wrote:

 >>Look at attached screenshot.  Do you think this ad is suitable for
 >>Linux.org site?

Ilya,

    We don't have much control over what ads run in the Google space.
We have made attempts to exclude text ads from Microsoft, but it has
not been entirely successful since we need to capture the URL used
in the ad (which means seeing it ourselves) and then adding it to the
Google filtering list which takes 24hrs to become effective, just in
time for them to switch URLs.

    If we had the financial option of shutting out all of the Google
ads, I'd do it, but we can't pay the bills with our good looks and
a smile.

    I appreciate that you took the time to point this out to us.  I
wish I could do more about it.

    Michael

Michael McLagan                                         V:(315)393-1202
General Manager, Linux Online, Inc                      F:(315)393-1154
The first stop for Linux info on the Net