Perl/Regex question (hopefully simple)

Stewart C. Russell scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 29 17:00:37 UTC 2004

Madison Kelly wrote:

>   I am trying to do a regex substitute where I need to maintain two
> pieces of dynamic data. Specifically I am trying to convert some keys
> into a proper html link. For example, I want to convert:
>
> [url=groups.google.ca]Google Groups[/url]
>
> into

If you can't find a pre-built BBCode parser to do all the gruntwork for
you, this is the small and simple solution that I'd use:

s,\[\/url\],</a>,ig;
s,\[url=([^\]]+)\],<a href="$1" target="_new">,ig;

This allows the URL to be split over multiple lines, which is hard to
catch with an all-in-one approach.

cheers,
  Stewart