Perl/Regex question (hopefully simple)

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 29 15:56:55 UTC 2004

Hi all,

   I'm not having a lot of luck googling for the answer to this
question. I hope someone can help or point me in the right direction
(like what perldoc to read).

   I am trying to do a regex substitute where I need to maintain two
pieces of dynamic data. Specifically I am trying to convert some keys
into a proper html link. For example, I want to convert:

[url=groups.google.ca]Google Groups[/url]

into

I was trying something like this but it isn't working...

$help_body =~ s/\[url=(.*)\](.*)\[\/url\]/(<a href=").*("
target="_new">).*(<\/a>)/gi;

So how do I go about substituting values around variable information
that I want to save?

Thanks!!

Madison