Royal Pain

David Thornton david-FkEgs2FKm2NvBvnq28/GKQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 27 02:49:46 UTC 2004

Peter L. Peres wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Jun 2004, David Thornton wrote:
>

>>I have to admit , being an egg myself, I don't quite grok parts of your
>>post:
>>

>What is being an egg ?

Both the egg and "grok" are is a references to a book by Robert
Heinlein: "Stranger in a Strange Land".
You confess your humility when you say: I am but an Egg.
Grok roughly means "understand". In the book people consume their dead
as a means of understanding them.
It's a away of making what they are a part of you.

>>"Ok, so his perpetuum mobile works when you're looking ;-)"
>>    What do mean?
>>

>I was jokingly referring to the implication that the other book offers
>proven solutions towards perfection/bug freenes (I consider bug freeness
>and perfection to be unreachable ideal abstractions).
>

>>"please respect mine"
>>    Is there some way in which I disrespected you?
>>

>No I did not imply that anybody didn't. It's just a phrase. I am sorry if
>I touched anybody here, and I apologize for it.
>
>Peter
>--
>The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://tlug.ss.org
>TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

Great stuff, thanks for taking the time to response with more than a
line or two.

david