ALSA with kernel 2.6.7

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 26 20:44:39 UTC 2004

Hi Gilles,

Is this the first time you are trying to use the ALSA drivers?

Make sure you have the alsa-base, alsa-headers, alsa-utils, and
libasound2 (or maybe libasound1 on sarge) packages.

Did you include the old OSS drivers in the kernel? If yes, they could be
conflicting with your alsa drivers:

Check what alsa modules are loaded:
# lsmod | grep "snd-"

Use rmmod to unload the old OSS drivers if necessairy. Then run:
# modprobe <name of the alsa module for your audio card>

"alsaconf" should have told you the name of the module to use for your
card. The module starts with "snd-".

Finally, check the permissions on /dev/snd/* and make sure they are r/w
for the "audio" group. Then make sure your username is in the audio
group. "groups <your username>" should tell you what groups you are in.

The permissions should look like:
crw-rw----    1 root     audio    116,   0 Apr  2 13:44 controlC0
crw-rw----    1 root     audio    116,  32 Apr  2 13:44 controlC1
etc.

I hope this helps.

Gilles Fourchet wrote:
> I have just compile a brand new kernel 2.6.7 on Debian Sarge.
> Everything is fine except for the Alsa part.
>
> I have used alsaconf and snddevices to configure everything.  Alsaconf
> recognize my sound card without any problem.  However, when I do an
> "alsactl restore", I get "alsactl: load_state:1134: No soundcards
> found...".  If I start alsamizer, I get "alsamixer: function
> snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device".
>
> The other weird thing is that, if I start XMMS, I of course get an error
> when I configure it to work directly with Alsa.  However, it works fine
> if I configure XMMS to work with OSS.

- --
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***