A round of applause for Emma Jane Hogbin...

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 26 18:35:12 UTC 2004

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, James Knott wrote:

> As someone who attends the TLUG meetings on an occasional basis, I also
> find those hecklers to be a source of irritation.  It's a wonder they

Audience behaviour in TLUG meetings was discussed on this list maybe 3
months ago.  Following an open and frank discussion I felt the TLUG
audience became much quieter during talks.

Also, I would not use the word "hecklers".  I have never seen anyone
heckled at any LUG meeting.  I have however seem excessive interruptions.
FWIW I made sure my definition of heckling was correct:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=heckle

I do not believe the intent of the interruptors at TLUG is to "embarrass
and annoy" the speaker.  I do believe in some cases the intent of the
interruptor is to impress upon others the depth of their knowledge.

The nature of a talk is speaker driven of course.  I have talked at TLUG a
number of times and at NewTLUG once (as well as other user groups in the
GTA and elsewhere).  I actually say at the start of my talk that if people
do not understand what I am talking about or would like me to expand a
point they should raise their hand.  I prefer to discuss the matter while
it is fresh in everyone's minds.  IMHO, waiting until the end to ask
questions causes loss of context.  This of course needs to be tempered.
I am prepared accept a certain level of interruptions during my talks.
More than most speakers I suspect.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, rbrockway-cFo9iiqjkw8eIZ0/mPfg9Q at public.gmane.org