console eyecandy

Neil Pritchard qualish-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 26 03:34:35 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 20:10, Jeremy Wakeman wrote:

> Has anyone heard of any programs that attempt this bizarre idea?

When I was at university (Staffordshire University - UK) we had a course
segment programming 68000 assembler on embedded boards. Our only access
was via a serial terminal.

The terminal was ansi vt.

One of the feats we had to perform was to graphically display the speed
of the onboard fan and the temperature of a resistor, via an ADC.

It turned out to be pretty simple - the ansi escape codes are not too
tricky.

If an 8mhz 68000 board could run 2 bars over a 9600 baud serial
connection, I imagine a more up to date console could manage some funky
visualisations.

Check out the aalib stuff for console text/graphic driver code :
http://aa-project.sourceforge.net/aalib/

I'd guess the info on how to access the sound channels would be here :
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/alsa/alsa-doc/lib/

somewhere...

--
Neil Pritchard <qualish-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org>