VoIP from Primus

Tom tom-mQDsgmoLwK3SUeElwK9/Pw at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 25 15:10:16 UTC 2004

Sidney Shapiro wrote:
>>You have just experienced the major problem with VoiP.  The QoS is
>>nowhere near what the regular phone system has.  Did you call Primus
>>about the problem?
>

> I did, and they said due to network instability, bandwidth issues, blah
> blah, etc. the service was not working to "optimal performance". I told them
> I was assured it would be excellent service and a replacement for my phone,
> and they said I should look into increasing my bandwidth (perhaps going with
> DSL or Rogers Business). I have Rogers high speed, going to something else
> would negate the savings with Bell. I am going to cancel the service with
> primus today, and wait it out I guess.
>
> Sid

Your personal bandwidth is not the problem.

VoIP technology is not the problem.

The problem is the reliability of the broadband connection.  If your
internet provider were to add more bandwidth upstream then this might
improve the reliability of your connection, but that's the only way that
bandwidth comes into it.

One other thing.  These devices use QoS, but most routers don't support
QoS, so they suggest that you install your phone device outside of your
router.

Tom.