A round of applause for Emma Jane Hogbin...

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 24 21:59:01 UTC 2004

> Hi all, my first post to this list.

Welcome!

> On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 11:14:54PM -0400, Colin McGregor wrote:
> > Having done NewTLUG presentations (and one TLUG presentation
> > (a LONG time ago)) (arguably not well) before I know it can be
> > scary looking at a crowd of a few dozen people, on the other
> > hand a "crowd" of just three borders on the insulting.
>
> I have only been going to NewTLUG meetings for about a year but
> I have noticed that attendance always seems quite good, so I am
> surprised by the poor showing. Perhaps a combination of the
> non-technical subject matter, the somewhat inconvenient
> location, the lack of free parking, and summer time schedules
> caused some people to reconsider attending the meeting.

I thought that the presentation of it was actually more than a little
insulting in that it was pretty directly slamming TLUG.  That would
throw in another reason for disinterest.

Well-deserving though some TLUG members may be of being slammed, the
advertising struck me as being a pretty negative sort of advertising.

  "Hmm.  If I'm scared of doing presentations at, um, some local LUGs,
   then I should come to this in preparation for that."

Negative ads are, regrettably, exceedingly appropriate this week as the
federal parties "sock it out" in the hopes of not losing as badly :-),
but none of that is _attractive_ of attention.  If I'm "afeard" of
presenting at LUGs, due to occasional rudeness, then the goal is
probably to avoid the rudeness, not to come to a talk to discuss it.

The right "spin" to start with is to put it forth in a more _positive_
way.  One excellent report on this is the following one from NASA.
<http://techreports.larc.nasa.gov/ltrs/1964-cit.html> Part of its thesis
is that you should know your material well enough that your confidence
in that will naturally overcome the potentially numerous obstacles.
--
output = reverse("gro.mca" "@" "enworbbc")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/internet.html