I want to drive bicycle

Zbigniew Koziol zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 24 21:43:28 UTC 2004

Peter Hiscocks wrote:

>There was an interesting article in The Star today about the use of Bicycles
>in Copenhagen. Something like 40% of the population use them for
>transportation. But there is a chicken-and-egg issue - until the number of
>bicyclists reaches a critical mass, many people are afraid to ride a bike.
>
>It's still pretty dangerous in Toronto to ride a bike in the burbs, in my
>opinion, but it's safe and very convenient in the core.
>
>Peter

5 years in Amsterdam. I did use bicycle most of the time there, to go
to/from work. It was a nice experience. Indeed, many professors even
used to come to university on bikes. It is possible that 40 % of
population uses bikes there in everyday life.

Toronto is not good enough for bicycles. I am myself afraid to drive
here by using streets. Drivers are certainly very good and experienced
but a bit crazy. And most afraid I am of taxi drivers - they certainly
must have very good insurances, possibly payed by their unions - they
are driving in most dangerous ways.

Another reason why it is not safe here is simply - in Amsterdam, nearly
every road has a path which is exclusive for bikes. Not here. I even
used to joke: in Amsterdam it is possible to get by bike anywhere, not
by car.

I never feel a desire for owning and driving a car. Still do not have
(though it is possible I will be forced to have a car, forced by living
circumstances). So my view on these things might be slightel;y
distorted. I wish there was much more done that people here could use
bikes. Yes, this is a good issue related to elections.

zb.