NewTLUG location [was: applause for Emma Jane Hogbin...]

Peter Hiscocks phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 24 21:27:01 UTC 2004

There was an interesting article in The Star today about the use of Bicycles
in Copenhagen. Something like 40% of the population use them for
transportation. But there is a chicken-and-egg issue - until the number of
bicyclists reaches a critical mass, many people are afraid to ride a bike.

It's still pretty dangerous in Toronto to ride a bike in the burbs, in my
opinion, but it's safe and very convenient in the core.

Peter

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 03:11:41PM -0400, Andrew Malcolmson wrote:

> > Strange, I waste 2.5 hours of my most productive time every single day
> > driving, I certainly don't consider myself spoiled.  Cars should be
> > banned ;-)
> >

> Urban sprawl is one of the great tragedies of Toronto's development
> during the last twenty or thirty years.  We should have worked harder to
> create inexpensive, high density housing that takes advantage of the
> residents' close proximity to build supportive social connections.  Some
> of the social housing developments of the early 90's were actually like
> that (and well built, too).
>
> Now the TTC can't provide decent service to these areas because the
> density is so low so people pretty much have no choice but to drive.
>
> Hey - this sounds like an election issue!

Peter D. Hiscocks
Ryerson University,
350 Victoria Street,
Toronto, Ontario, M5B 2K3, Canada