DNS and Mail server hardware and bandwidth specs?

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 22 14:05:19 UTC 2004

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Neither will need much cpu/ram, the mail might take some bandwidth
> depending on the questions above, and if you run spam filters, it may
> even take a bit more cpu/ram.  Running imap/pop servers can also take

Hi Lennart.  I agree with you on cpu/ram for DNS/mail servers.  The
requirements are very modest.

The only thing I want to add is to put in a good amount of disk for the
mail server.  If something goes wrong with your network (internal or
external) and the mail server has to start queuing mail it is nice to be
able to breath easy and know that it can it can absorb a lot of mail.  If
the mail spool fills MTAs (mail transport agents) will temp fail receipt.
So for incoming mail other MTAs (like backup MXs for the domains) will go
on to hold the mail (until they also fill their spools...).

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, rbrockway-cFo9iiqjkw8eIZ0/mPfg9Q at public.gmane.org