DNS and Mail server hardware and bandwidth specs?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 22 13:50:08 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 03:26:50PM +0800, JM wrote:
> 	Ill be putting up a DNS Server and a Mail Server I need to know the hardware
> and bandwidth that Ill be needing.
>
> 	For mail -

How many giant attachments are these users sending and receiving.  how
many messages is each user going to get per day?  How many spams are
they going to receive each?

> 		about 60-70 users
> 	For DNS -

Generally very minimal, unless you are running something like google or
microsoft.com or yahoo.

Neither will need much cpu/ram, the mail might take some bandwidth
depending on the questions above, and if you run spam filters, it may
even take a bit more cpu/ram.  Running imap/pop servers can also take
some ram as well (at least when using mbox format and some mail servers,
usually with Maildir it's not very much since it doesn't load the whole
mailbox file into ram then to read the headers).

Lennart Sorensen