bash script help

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 21 15:47:36 UTC 2004

Anton Markov <anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Fraser Campbell wrote:
> > One of my upgrades pulled in oooqs-kde and it took me a day or two
> before I
> > finally checked into why my system had slowed to a crawl.  It was eating
> > memory like there's no tomorrow, right out of the gate it uses about
> 60MB of
> > memory.
> Doesn't it actually load all the OpenOffice.org shared libraries? That
> way when some OpenOffice.org component is activated, it simply uses the
> already-loaded libraries. So oooqs-kde would use the RAM instead of
> OpenOffice. At least that's the way I understand it.

To be useful, they would have to do more than that.  Specifically, they would
have to continually touch the RAM used by the OOo shared libraries.
Otherwise, any I/O would use that RAM for buffer cache, forcing OOo to be
evicted.

I'm with Fraser.  If you use OOo a lot (and you have sufficient RAM), it will
be in RAM anyway and it will be fast to startup and to use.  If you use it
only occasionally, it will be slow to startup.  If you then choose to use a
tool like this, the RAM occupied by (or reserved for) OOo components will not
be available for other applications and your whole system (i.e. every other
application) will suffer as a result.  That seems like a poor tradeoff to me.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada