Royal Pain

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 19 01:54:38 UTC 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, James Knott wrote:

> simply because we didn't have one of that model in the test lab.  The
> cause turned out to be a conflict between the installation of two
> applications and reversing the install order solved that problem.  When
> you're doing integration testing of a complete system, it's physically
> impossible to test for all possible conditions, to verify there's
> absolutely no bugs.

Actually systems where this matters are strictly specified and tested in
all configurations. They are then called 'approved' configurations. If the
testing is to be do-able within reasonable time, then the number of
configurations must be small. So imho good well-tested systems are
available in a reduced set of possible approved configurations. The
opposite should also be true. I.e. highly interconnectable 'universal'
system == not robust, many bugs, ymmv. Just like a present day PC. <duck>

Peter