Good board?

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 18 23:03:51 UTC 2004

On June 18, 2004 02:37 pm, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:

> Did hear many good about Debian. Did install FC1 on my machine recently.
> Not happy - how silly that Linux must be - it takes much more resources
> than Windows XP on this dual-boot machine and many games [;)] crush
> without a reason. So, thought will go to play with Debian. And, again,
> feel silly - do not know how to download images for CD installation.
> Spend some time on that, on reading web sites, and still feel silly.

On recent Debian installs I've used the 2 floppy installer which you can grab
from
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/installer-i386/current/images/floppy/

Prior to the new installer being viable I would use the mini install ISO
images, such as those at http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

> I am serious. How newers are supposed to come to Linux when there is no
> simple, automatically findable instruction about how to download and
> install new system from the Internet?

Debian isn't easy for a newcomer to install.  For newcomers SuSe, Mandrake, et
al are probably a better choice.  I've not tried Fedora so I can't really
comment much on it.

Another alternative is to install one of the commercial Debian based
distributions, I've heard reasonable reviews of these:

- Lindows (notice L not W), http://www.lindows.com/
- Libranet, http://www.libranet.com/
- Xandros, http://www.xandros.com/

Libranet and Xandros both offer freely downloadable versions that you could
try out.  I've never tried any of the above but I believe they are all very
easy to install (9 times out of 10).  I would never buy these since I am
comfortable going straight to the source (Debian) and I expect the source to
live long, these companies may not.