Royal Pain

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 18 14:02:43 UTC 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, James Knott wrote:

> And of course, it's impossible to prove there are no bugs.  You can only
> fail to find some.

See fvwm2(1) [1].  Checkout the "bugs" section.

BUGS
       As of fvwm version 2.4.0 there were exactly 71.8 unidenti
       fied bugs. Since then 22.825 bugs have been fixed.  Assum
       ing that there are at least 10 unidentified bugs for every
       identified  one,  that leaves us with 71.8 - 22.825 + 10 *
       22.825 = 277.225 unidentified bugs. If we follow  this  to
       its  logical conclusion we will have an infinite number of
       unidentified bugs before the number of bugs can  start  to
       diminish,  at  which  point  the program will be bug-free.
       Since this is a computer program infinity = 3.4028e+38  if
       you don't insist on double-precision.  At the current rate
       of bug discovery we should expect to achieve this point in
       4.27e+27  years.   I  guess we better plan on passing this
       thing on to our children...

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, rbrockway-cFo9iiqjkw8eIZ0/mPfg9Q at public.gmane.org