OSS, Sp*m and... most regrettably politics

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 17 18:37:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 07:28:22PM -0400, Tim Writer wrote:
> michael <michael-SDkNi8KRJFiw5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > I found this in my spam trash can.  My ISP tags spam with the word spam and
> > I have anything with the subject line containing with word SPAM automaticly
> > tossed into it.  Maybe this group is just non-political or others have the
> > same mechanism setup.
>
> That's ridiculous.  While I've _occasionally_ received SPAM identifying
> itself as (unsolicited) commercial e-mail, I've never received SPAM that
> identified itself as SPAM, certainly not using the word SPAM.  When present
> in e-mail, I would think that the word SPAM is much more likely an indicator
> of a legitimate discussion about dealing with SPAM than an indicator of SPAM.

I think what he means is that when his ISP finds e-mail that it suspects might
be spam, his ISP _rewrites_ the subject header such that it includes the word
"Spam".  Personally, I'd make it do something a little more obvious, and probably
all uppercase like "SPAM", and make sure that my e-mail client was being case-
sensitive.

Of course the probably better solution is to add a new header (a la SpamAssassin)
which the mail client can look for without touching the Subject header.

--
taa
/*eof*/