Royal Pain

Scott Elcomb Scott.Elcomb-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 17 05:45:04 UTC 2004

Perfection is a wast of time.

> One of the new guys at work said something that was simple yet profound:
>
>     Perfection is a waste of time.
>
> david-FkEgs2FKm2NvBvnq28/GKQ at public.gmane.org
>

> Henry Spencer wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Robert Brockway wrote:
> >

> >>Probes on their way to Mars should not get full filesystems either.
> >>

> >This happened on the Martian surface, actually, not en route.  And it was
> >rather more subtle than a full filesystem.

<snip>

> >"*Everything* is released before perfection because we can't afford to
> >wait long enough.  This is a general truth about engineering." --Les Hatton
> >
> >                                                          Henry Spencer
> >                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo2m+52S1sGFrw at public.gmane.orget

I love that quote.  All of them actually.

Perfection is a waste of time for us, but I'm not sure it will be for
Sony and the QRIO.

Give them a few years.  I'm sure they've already got plans for Mars, the
moon, and any number of other places.

The fuzzy controllers(?) in it are about the most perfect I've heard of.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/QRIO/

(I'd recommend the Flash presentation.)

Frankly, I don't know what to make of this "toy."

- Scott.

--
Scott Elcomb
http://psema4.gotdns.com