OSS, Sp*m and... most regrettably politics

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 16 23:28:22 UTC 2004

michael <michael-SDkNi8KRJFiw5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org> writes:

> I found this in my spam trash can.  My ISP tags spam with the word spam and
> I have anything with the subject line containing with word SPAM automaticly
> tossed into it.  Maybe this group is just non-political or others have the
> same mechanism setup.

That's ridiculous.  While I've _occasionally_ received SPAM identifying
itself as (unsolicited) commercial e-mail, I've never received SPAM that
identified itself as SPAM, certainly not using the word SPAM.  When present
in e-mail, I would think that the word SPAM is much more likely an indicator
of a legitimate discussion about dealing with SPAM than an indicator of SPAM.

> At 03:34 PM 6/14/04 -0400, you wrote:
> >
> >Hello Everyone,
> >
> >I'm afraid to even raise this point, politics are spooky, but has anyone
> >else noticed that the Green party has a policy on OSS and Spam?
> >
> >http://www.greenparty.ca/platform2004/en/policies.php?p=16
> >
> >IMHO it's slightly misguided as to the requirements for laws on a couple
> >points (forced transition and do-not-spam registries), but that's what
> >feedback is for :-)
> >
> >Has this always been the case?
> >
> >-Mike
> >
> >-----
> >
> >Open Source Software
> >
> >In this era of increasing technology dependence, both in business and in
> >daily life, software has become a vital economic resource. Software
> >applications must be trustworthy, reliable and easy-to-use. The Open
> >Source Movement is emerging as a competitive rival to privately
> >developed and marketed software, producing programs of equal or better
> >reliability and security.
> >
> >The Green Party will:
> >
> >     * Require federal agencies to initiate transitions to open source
> >operating systems and productivity software.
> >     * Make technology that has been developed at public expense, a
> >publicly owned resource. Software that has been developed at taxpayer
> >expense will be released under an open source license, making it free
> >for all Canadians to use.
> >     * Procure only software that stores, loads and transmits
> >information in industry standard formats, for which full technical
> >specifications are available. Procurement of systems that require closed
> >licenses or use vendor-specific formats would be used only if no
> >alternative is available.
> >     * Shorten the length of software patents to seven years. The
> >software business cycle is so fast that longer patents only stifle
> >innovation.
> >
> >Canadian Spam Laws
> >
> >In Canada, over ten billion junk e-mails are sent every year. The
> >federal government and the Canadian Radio-television and
> >Telecommunications Commission have yet to address this issue. While spam
> >is an international problem, Canada should start becoming part of the
> >solution, rather than part of the problem.
> >
> >The Green Party will create Anti-Spam laws with the following rules:
> >
> >     * E-mail marketers will be forced to identify themselves properly.
> >     * Marketers must make their pitches honestly.
> >     * Marketers must honour any person’s request to be removed from
> >their contact lists.
> >     * Marketers must abide by a Canadian “do-not-spam” registry.
> >     * CSIS will coordinate with the international law enforcement and
> >security agencies to crack down on the worst spammers.
> >--
> >The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://tlug.ss.org
> >TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns
> >

> ---

tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada