Linux in Brazil

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 16 23:16:12 UTC 2004

Fraser Campbell <fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On Monday 14 June 2004 13:59, Peter Hiscocks wrote:
>
> > There is a short news item in the Globe to the effect that IBM is using
> > Linux as the operating system in a POS system for a large retail chain in
> > Brazil.
>
> I have the impression that Linux (and Java) are pretty much the standard for
> POS systems even here in North America.

My experience with JavaPOS, Linux, and a variety of essential peripherals
from well known companies suggests otherwise.  One such company ships a Java
SDK with a Windows DLL for accessing the serial ports, no shared library for
Linux, and no documentation on what components are required under Linux or
where to get them.  Overall, I'm left with the impression that, outside of
IBM, there aren't a whole lot of developers using JavaPOS on Linux.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada