Linux in Brazil

David Colebatch david-nuEF980otx7IfpyC97YFaV6hYfS7NtTn at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 15 13:34:18 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 15 June 2004 10:00 pm, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> On Monday 14 June 2004 13:59, Peter Hiscocks wrote:
> > There is a short news item in the Globe to the effect that IBM is using
> > Linux as the operating system in a POS system for a large retail chain in
> > Brazil.
>
> I have the impression that Linux (and Java) are pretty much the standard
> for POS systems even here in North America.  I read an article a few weeks
> ago regarding someone who had sent out RFPs to replace his aging POS
> system.  He recieved three proposals, they all had one (two?) thing in
> common - linux and java.  Can't find that link now but it was an
> interesting read, I also believe that the article itself was well over a
> year old.

I couldn't say it's the standard... I've seen far more windows POS in use than
linux/java ones.  I'm mainly looking at restaurants and bars and the like ;)

Certainly, my mobile phone company had a linux set up, it was using IceWM
too :s

-David

(Oh, and now I'm talking about the asia pacific, not North America)